In 1991, the Americans William Strauss and Neil Howe reviewed the historical and economic cycles in U.S. history and thus gave the start of the "Theory of generations". The theory was adopted by the community and seen in other countries, including in Russia.
The findings of the "theory of generations"
In his works, Strauss and Howe made some interesting conclusions:
- Determined that a generation is the aggregate of all people born in the range of ~20 years. A period equivalent to one phase of life: childhood, youth, middle age and old age. At the time of the birth of the theory was formed "Generation Y" (or Millennials): people born from 1983 to 2003.
- Revealed that the basis for the formation of "human generation" are the events of the first phase (childhood). Y-generation at this time came the collapse of the Soviet Union, "dashing the 90th", the development of information technology, free access to any information.
- Highlighted the historical cycles of four generations. So, the first generation in the current cycle, called "the Greatest generation": it is born in the period 1903-1923.
- Proved that generational cycles superimposed on the economic: every generation has had its phase of the crisis. "Millennials" and "the Greatest generation" corresponds to the archetype of the "generation of Heroes": they meet a crisis in its active phase, and the brunt of it falls on them. The first went to the "Great depression" and World War II. Ys just starting to overcome the crisis.
The work of Strauss and Howe explained, what caused the difference of cultural values between generations, unites them, how they interact, allowed a historical analogy to identify the individual traits of each generation. Due to this the early 2000-ies, when grown up the first representatives of generation Y have managed to create a number of techniques that help to understand the motivations of Millennials and find an approach to them. For example, young people reared on video games, I'd love to see the new game mechanics in everyday life. And the world began to change under generation Y.
Features of generation Y
In General, it is possible to identify some characteristic traits of the Millennials, who have become the most fertile ground for the introduction of gamification into the everyday processes:
- Connectedness. Millennials — the "network generation" that has grown along with the Internet: communication, shopping, learning — all online.
- The desire be realized. Someone is hunting for trendy things, someone who constantly changes jobs, someone to aspire to win everything what can reach. It is alien to older generations, but it works to the benefit where there is an element of the game.
- Curiosity and a constant search for new. Due to this, y could be accused of superficial perception, inability to focus and impermanence, but in fact they just adapt to the uncertainty and instability that characterizes the crisis. It is this feature of them gave impetus to the development of various MEP projects and added headache HR'am.
- Individualism. For it is sometimes accused of self-centeredness ("But we were the pioneers!"), however, exactly due to the craving for freedom, a preference for partnership, not submission.
In many sources you can meet the expression "generation Peter pan": the so-called Y for the desire to stay longer in childhood. And childhood games. The children grew up. But "grown up" and the games themselves over the last decade, they have become much better, and has formed a new service market: quests, Board games, interactive performances.
The basics of gamification
Technology gamification are a number of techniques aimed at the formation of behavior patterns. They are based on basic psychological principles, which in different forms were used in Ancient Greece and in the United States and the Soviet Union. With respect to y these principles can be described as follows:
- The principle of motivation for generation Y powerful factor was the desire for psychological comfort.
- The principle of status: because of the fact that basic needs are met, for generation Y much more weight gaining respect, achievement, victory. Points, ranks, badges — the popularity of all this due to just that principle.
- The principle of reward: the final point of any game is the reward. That is, the focus should be on results, not the process itself. The prize can be something physical, and emotional (Just for lulz).
- The principle of unexpected discoveries and rewards: an important factor for generation Y was the need for a new. Moreover, the novelty should not be decorative, but of high quality. This item is interesting because it explains why many of the techniques of gamification, described 3-5 years ago, have lost effectiveness: they are banal boring.
- The principle of feedback: the y is important to see that their actions have the result, and wishes are taken into account. Often the older generations don't understand and ignore this fact that leads to tragic consequences.
Gamification is a natural process
The main economically active generation is the Millennials, it is not surprising that their queries need to keep the reference point. It's wonderful illustrate of the company that takes Board games: they are created by generation Y, meet the needs of generation Y and do it effectively.
Of course, good work on the "y" methods, which initially is the element of the game:
- When the object indicates the status of the owner, and the purchase in the first row is a daunting task. The reward becomes the fact of purchase is "made", "buy", "obtain", "hero". This is a typical game scenario the Millenials pick up very well.
- Purchase-quest: the process of selection of furniture — a fascinating walk with the opportunity to find many fun and useful things, and the reward — the purchase of a chaotic set of elements in a couple of hours thrust of the Assembly is transformed into something stylish and functional!
- The title and "achievements": for example, an information site, filled by the users themselves, the activity of which is stimulated by "titles" and "ratings". In this case, implemented a gaming scenario, in which initially it is necessary to pass the barrier, after which the fact of publication — the achievement, and then "pumped" dialing publications rating.
Shopping is also a quest
Modern shopping malls — not just a collection of stores and common complexes that become points of attraction: numerous cafes where you can eat and chat, a variety of shops (from anchor tenants to the small, open by Millennials), gaming zones, theaters. Buying becomes the only option to communicate. And here, too, is activated so close to the heart of generation Y is a game that will help even more to entice and motivate them.
The most obvious technique that can be found in the SEC: the use of familiar images and moments in marketing campaigns. Due to the fact that it is used a large number of shops, make a General visual background that is perceived positively by Millennials.
As example, held last year in the centres of MEGA game format Pokemon Go where buyers had to find in shops, galleries and food courts, special labels, by scanning which they had a chance to win a gift card from the MEGA or the super — shopping for 100 000 rubles in the company of TV presenter Regina Todorenko.
The sheer number of stores, promotions and events create dynamics similar to the dynamics of computer games. If you present the buyer with a character that has mana (money) and health (fatigue): shopping center acts as the location where the RAID takes place, and the stores – as a potential source of loot.
When multiple stores at the same time announced discounts
Search for beautiful and unusual things creates a sensation similar to the feeling of playing the games. So a boring trip to the shops becomes familiar and loved by the Millennials traits. Layout and allocation of stores in the Mall is almost completely identical to construction locations in video games:
- first, the weaker mobs (small shops at the entrances),
- same mobs gather in groups (TRTS used the same method of grouping stores),
- different mobs in a group (large stores attract customers for the smaller ones, a neighborhood with luxury brands, beneficial to budget),
- there are bosses, but the path to them lies through a variety of simple mobs (popular stores are usually located in the deep),
- locations have to be complicated (navigation in shopping Mall specially complicated to hold the buyer).
The main thing: to reach the checkpoint where you can sit, drink coffee and relax.
As for high technologies, then there's still a lot more interesting. Partly we have opened this topic in our previous post about high-tech shopping. And this is only the beginning.
- Technology gamification will actively develop the next 10-15 years, until the next generation of people. Then it all will have to transform into something new — something that has attracted that generation Z.
- Replaced the most part of the techniques developed to date will come in less obvious, more personalized, but based on the same basic principles and qualities.
- To remain effective the whole industry will be forced to rebuild.
- Millennials will increasingly change the world: their values will be crucial.
- Those who dare to start their own business, are faced with the fact that most of developed technologies and techniques will quickly lose effectiveness, so they have to constantly evolve and seek something new.
- The number of companies created by Millennials will increase. And we at MEGA Acceleratorwill actively promote it: where anyway, let where want – teach, and where necessary stimulate.
Tags: information Society
- 17-02-2018The near future through the eyes of artists-futurists
- 08-02-2018Jobs for the future: how interesting will be the jobs?
- 03-02-2018Graphene could solve five major problems of the world
- 30-01-2018"Supercomputer" digest: four news from the world of high performance computing
- 28-01-2018Overview of fusion startups in the world
- 30-11--0001Physics saw the beginning of times and confirmed the expansion of the Universe
- 30-09-2010From Russia suggest that you escape as soon as possible