1. Chinese and English speaking community of artificial intelligence developers understand each other asymmetrically. Most Chinese scientists can read English, and almost all major research developments in the Western world immediately translated into Chinese, but Chinese to English no. Therefore, the Chinese academic community better understand what happens on both sides than the English version. As the AI industry in China continues to grow, it can become a serious problem for people in the West.
2. The people of the West have inflated ideas about the possibilities of artificial intelligence in China. Exaggeration partly with media and partly the Western players who deliberately employ narrative "arms race AI" to stimulate the promotion of their programs. But Western people also lack a true understanding of the technical skills and capabilities of Chinese companies. A few deep dives from the Chinese writers revealed that most of the Chinese giants AI is actually less impressive than it seems, they are less clever algorithms and a team of scientists is also smaller.
3. The Chinese government considers AI as a tool of social control. According to a report by the Chinese consulting company Yiou Intelligence, most of the top 100 companies in the field of AI are related to security. These include startups to recognize individuals and companies serving platform for security monitoring. Some of these companies were directly involved in mass surveillance by the government of Xinjiang Autonomous region, where ethnic minority groups of China, the Uighurs. Other companies are fueling Chinese exports of surveillance technologies to Central Asia and beyond.
4. Research in the field of AI has greatly benefited from the cooperation of China with the United States. Historically, American and Chinese companies freely exchanged talents and ideas. Take, for example, Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA), Microsoft's hub in Beijing and the largest centre outside the headquarters of the company. In its 20-year history of MSRA played an equally important role in expanding the boundaries of research activities to Microsoft, as in the development of China ecosystem of artificial intelligence. Projects such as Xiaolce, a very popular chat-bot in China use huge user base in the country to improve the company's capabilities in AI. MSRA has also trained thousands of talented Chinese researchers that are working in many large company in the country.
5. The Chinese care about the ethics of AI. Although Chinese and American citizens have different views on privacy, wrong to say that first do not care about her. Tech giants are mired in disputes about the breach of privacy, and authorities routinely filed lawsuits against companies for violation of data protection.
- 02-07-2020The future of data centers
- 20-06-2020Vladimir Kitov: "it is Impossible to understand how scientists-pioneers foresaw the universal computerization in the 50's!"
- 08-06-2020How many qubits needed for quantum superiority?
- 16-05-2020Ten technologies that will shake the world in 2020
- 31-03-2020How to design the city based robotic transport
- 23-08-2013Earth vs. The sun, or the change of magnetic poles
- 30-11--0001Physics saw the beginning of times and confirmed the expansion of the Universe
- 30-09-2010From Russia suggest that you escape as soon as possible