All known nuclei of chemical elements comprise protons and neutrons, which in turn are combinations of three quarks. A distinctive feature of this matter is that the quarks exist in bound States in three pieces. However, theorists suggest that there are other possible forms of existence of matter, where the quarks are not Packed in triplets. It is believed that this substance can maintain stability under extreme conditions, such as those typical of depths of neutron stars.
In the new work of physicists from the University of Toronto in Canada represent calculations according to which such a phase of matter may be stable starting with the next element. They call the substance "quark matter from the top and bottom quarks" (up, down quark matter — udQM). Also, this form should be the main state of normal baryonic matter. This potentially makes it a source of energy. This idea is not new — in 1984, a concept first put forward the most quoted physicist of our time, Edward Witten. However, his work was considered strange quark matter (SQM) composed of comparable fractions of the top, bottom and strange quarks. In a new article, the assumption is actually heavier strange quarks are not needed for this.
One of the conclusions of the new work is that beyond the known periodic table is a kind of "continent of stability" in contrast to the"island of stability" — a hypothetical region of actinide elements with large half-lives. The authors write that hypothetically udQM, you can get much easier than SQM, however this may require a much larger ratio of neutrons to protons than is usually characteristic of stable nuclei. Now the authors intend to investigate whether it is possible to obtain udQM in accelerators and found in cosmic rays.
- 11-07-2018When we will end the storage of digital data, we'll use DNA
- 29-06-2018Greatest mysteries: what is consciousness?
- 27-06-2018Composed of 35 chief technology forecasts to 2018
- 26-06-2018The theory of ether. What unites Mendeleev, Tesla, and von Braun?
- 17-06-2018Is there a limit to scientific knowledge?
- 30-11--0001Physics saw the beginning of times and confirmed the expansion of the Universe
- 30-09-2010From Russia suggest that you escape as soon as possible