Center for Strategic Assessment and forecasts

Autonomous non-profit organization

Home / Defence and security / The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation: yesterday, today and tomorrow / Weekdays
9th company - the real story
Material posted: Publication date: 10-01-2014

To 1988. the whole world knew that the Soviet troops will soon leave Afghanistan completely. Billions of dollars invested by the US administration in funding various factions 'fighters for the faith', so far have not yielded any serious results.

None of the province was not under the complete control of 'spirits', no one, even shabby the town was not captured. But what a shame to the American establishment - never really took revenge on the USSR for Vietnam! In the camp of the Afghan opposition, Pakistani bases, with the participation of American and Pakistani advisers, developed a plan: to take the border town of Khost, to create an alternative to the Kabul government, with all the ensuing consequences. The spirits were able to block the ground path to the Host, and the supply of the garrison had long been in the air. In the fall of 1987, the command of the 40th army launched a military operation to release a Host called 'Highway'. Spirit groups were defeated and retreated to Jadranski ridge, freeing the route to the Host. Our division occupied the commanding heights along the road, and the Host went the goods.

9-th company 345-th parachute regiment of the airborne troops (regiment commander Colonel V. A. Vostrotin, the acting commander of a company art. l-t S. B. Tkachev) was occupied several heights, forming a company strong point. Battle tactics: to prevent an enemy breakthrough to the road Gardez - Khost.

January 7, 1988, approximately at 15: 00, fire at the height of 3234, which was 39 paratroopers platoon tbsp-TA V. Gagarin. Rather, fired all the high, but concentrated, a heavy fire was conducted on the dominant terrain on this hill 3234. During the shelling killed private Andrew Fedotov, the radio operator art spotter senior Lieutenant Ivan Babenko, and was broken walkie-talkie. Then Babenko took the walkie-talkie of one of the platoon commanders.

In 15-30 began the first attack. In the composition of the storming of the rebels was a special unit - the so-called 'black storks', dressed in a black uniform, black turbans and helmets. In its composition, as a rule, included the best-trained Mujahideen in Afghanistan and the Pakistani special forces and various foreign mercenaries (as advisers to the commanders). According to the intelligence of the 40th army in battle also participated commando regiment 'Chatwal' the army of Pakistan.

From our side, directly the fight was led by the commander of the 3rd platoon of the 9th company of senior Lieutenant Viktor Gagarin. After the first attack, the enemy lost about 40 men killed and wounded. We had wounded ml. s-t Borisov. After a massive fire from mortars and portable PU rockets, 17-35 the enemy attacked height from the other direction, but fell under concentrated fire from the heights where we kept the defense platoon Leitenanta S. V. Rozhkova. After 40 minutes of battle the spirits of the departed. In 19-10 began the third attack, massive, under cover of the fire of grenade launchers and machine guns.

This time were killed senior Sergeant Alexandrov based machine gun 'Utes', Sergey Borisov and Andrey Kuznetsov. The position of the 12.7 mm NSV machine gun ('Cliff') covered the outskirts of the main positions of paratroopers. To destroy heavy machine gun that killed the spirits of the almost point-blank, attacking massively used RPGs. Vyacheslav Alexandrov realized that to survive the crew will not be able, therefore, gave command to his two rooms calculation - Kopyrin A. and S. Obyedkov to be given to the main forces, and he fired to the last. A machine-gun and Sergeant were literally riddled by grenades.

Then there were attack after attack. At the end of the day to the 3rd platoon reinforcements come: a group of Marines of the second platoon of the 9th company of guards senior Lieutenant Rozhkov Sergei Vladimirovich, at night there was a group of scouts tbsp-TA Alexey Smirnov. Immediately after this, at about 1-00 8 January, the enemy made a most furious attack. The spirits have brought us closer to a distance of throw grenades and to throw the grenades at the company. However, this attack was repulsed. Only the enemy launched a massive attack 12, latest already in the middle of the night on 8 January. Over night profit still 2 groups of reserve paratroopers tbsp of the Sergey Tkachev and scouts tbsp of the Alexandra merenkova. They delivered ammunition and water to the defenders, and took part in repelling the last attack.

From the memoirs of a Sergeant of the 2nd platoon of the 9th company of S. Y. Borisov, made immediately after the battle for hill 3234 (according to the book Lapshin Yury Mikhaylovich - the Deputy commander of 345 PDP in 1987-89, the "Afghan diary").

'All the attacks of the Mujahideen were well organised. To our rescue came the other platoon of a company, replenished our stock of ammunition. There was a lull, or quiet shooting. But the wind grew stronger, it became very cold. I went down under Skalnik, where new comrades. At this time began the most terrible and the most terrible attack. It was light from the gaps 'Granik' (grenades from RPG-7). Spooks were heavy fire from three directions. They calculated our position, and were concentrated fire from grenade launchers at the place where there were a number. A. Melnikov with a machine gun. The spirits are released there are five or six grenades. He's already dead came running down. Fell down dead, without uttering a single word. He led the fight fire with a machine gun, as with our direction and with, where he received a mortal wound.

Ml. Sergeant Peredelskaya V. V. I ordered all the grenades to carry up to the stone, where all our comrades. Then he took a grenade and went. Cheer the boys to stay, he began to fire.

The spirits have come to 20-25 meters. We had fire on them from close range. But we did not even know that they crawled even closer to a distance of 5-6 meters and will be there to throw us grenades. We just couldn't sweep this pothole, near which were two pieces of thick wood. At this point, the grenades we had. I stood next to A. Tsvetkov and a grenade, which exploded under us, was fatal for him. I was wounded in the arm and in the leg.

There were many wounded, they scattered and we could do nothing to help them. Four of us remained: I, Vladimir Shchigolev, Victor peredelskiy and Pavel Trutnev, then ran to the aid of Zurab Menteshashvili. We were already two stores on each, and no grenades. Even there was no one to equip the stores. In this very scary moment to our rescue came our of the reconnaissance platoon, and we began to pull out the wounded. Private Igor Tikhonenko was covering our right flank all 10 hours, was conducted aimed fire from a machine gun. Perhaps thanks to him and Andrew Melnikov "spirits" are unable to get us on the right side. Only in the fourth hour of the spirits realized that this hill it did not take. Taking their wounded and dead, they began to depart.On the battlefield then we found a grenade launcher, shots him in different places and three hand grenades without rings. Apparently, when they tore the rings, the checks remained in the heat of the moment. Maybe the rebels and did not have just these three grenades to suppress our resistance.

Everywhere was a lot of blood, apparently, they have had big losses. All the trees and the stones were riddled, not seen a living space. The trees sticking out from shanks 'Granik'.

I haven't written about the "Cliff", which is "perfume" by bullets and shrapnel literally turned into a piece of scrap metal. We fought the fire until the very last minute. How many of the enemy, we can only guess. According to our estimates, no less than two or three hundred.'

Alexey Smirnov is a graduate of RWDSU, led a group of scouts who came to the aid of the platoon Viktor Gagarin.

'...Started a large-scale operation 'Magistral', during which provoevavshy in Afghanistan for six months Smirnov and had a chance to fight together with the 9-th company 345 regiment, in the above-mentioned high-rise.

In late November 1987, the regiment was transferred in Gardez with the task to knock 'spirits' from the dominant heights around the town of Khost. In the 20's of December Smirnov without a fight won with his scouts the height 3234, sending it airborne platoon of the 9th company. Then a few days carried out the following combat tasks - occupied new heights and participated in the sweep of a nearby village. January 6, fought the battle for hill 3234.

The hill firing from mortars and recoilless guns, spooks tried to take her walking attack. When in 9-th company has its first 'two-hundredth', the battalion commander ordered Smirnov up to make the deceased corporal Andrei Fedotov from the battlefield. But a minute later changed the decision and ordered Smirnov to take as many ammunition and, when he reached a nearby building, waiting for its further commands. To the defensive platoon, meanwhile, had approached the commander of the 9th company with another platoon, however, to address the growing attacks of the Mujahideen became increasingly difficult. Performing with his fifteen scouts nearby reserve role for the already nearly surrounded platoon, Smirnov saw how the Mujahideen are increasing in the storm, like a snow-covered hill blackened from explosions and gases. The battalion commander stubbornly keeps it in reserve, thinking that 'spirits' might try to avoid the company of him. From a few hundred meters that separated Smirnova and fighting the 9th company, he heard the cries of the Mujahideen: 'Moscow, give up!'. And when late in the evening from the place of battle began to float reports to company soldiers about ending the cartridges, Smirnov radioed the battalion commander that more couldn't wait. After receiving approval for the attack, rushed to the rescue of the company. 15 Smirnov's scouts and delivered their ammunition did the trick: after a few hours of a night battle, the militants retreated. When dawn came on the outskirts stood the height of it were many thrown weapons, and the snow was full of blood stains.'


In principle, from our side it was quite competently. Artcollections senior Lieutenant Ivan Babenko were involved in the suppression of attacks attached artillery - self-propelled 'Nona' and the howitzer battery, provided the application and adjustment of artudarov from the beginning to the end of the battle, and our shells were exploding in the last attacks just 50 metres from the positions of fighters of the 9th company. Obviously, artillery support played a crucial role in the paratroopers, despite the overwhelming superiority of the offensive in manpower, managed to hold the position.

9th Rota courageously and skillfully defended 11-12 hours. The measures taken by the command for the organization of the fight were timely and correct: in reserve at a height of 4 profit groups; fire support was on the level, the relationship worked well. According to some reports, the staff of the company was and abenavoli, however, due to adverse conditions of aviation apply failed. Our losses can be considered relatively small, amounting to 5 killed directly during the battle, another died of wounds after the battle. Senior Sergeant Alexandrov V. A. (machine gun 'Utes') and Junior Sergeant A. A. Melnikov (PC gun) was awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union posthumously. All the other participants of the battle were awarded orders. Enemy losses can only be estimated, since all the dead and wounded Mujahideen were evacuated during the night on the territory of Pakistan. The total number of 'spirits', while involved in the attacks, according to the participants of the battle, was 2 to 3 hundred, i.e. one of the defenders of the Soviet soldier had from 6 to 8 attackers on average.

The altitude of 3234 protected: officers - Victor Gagarin, Ivan Babenko, Vitaliy matruk, Sergey Rozhkov, Sergey Tkachev, Lieutenant Vasilii Kozlov; the sergeants and privates - Vyacheslav Aleksandrov, Sergei Bobko, Sergey Borisov, Vladimir Borisov, Vladimir Verigin, Andrey Demin, Rustam Karimov, Arkady Kopyrin, V. Krishtopenko, Anatoly Kuznetsov, Andrey Kuznetsov, Sergey Korovin, Sergey Los, Andrey Melnikov, Zurab Menteshashvili, Normation Muradov, Andrei Medvedev, Nikolai Ognev, Sergei Scraps, Victor peredelskiy, Sergey Bugaev, Yuri Salamakha, Yuri Safronov, Nikolai Suhorukov, Igor Tikhonenko Pavel Trutnev and Vladimir Shchigolev, Andrey Fedotov, Oleg Fedorenko, Nicholas Fadin, Andrei and Evgeny Yatsuk; as well as scouts 345-th the RAP and Marines from other platoons of the 9th company, approached as the gain.

Of them died at the height of 5 people: Andrey Fedotov, Vyacheslav Alexandrov, Andrey Melnikov, Vladimir and Anatoly Kuznetsov Krishtopenko. Another soldier - Andrew Flowers - died in hospital a day after the battle on hill 3234.

There may be minor inaccuracies that will be corrected with the accumulation of more reliable and complete information.

Voroshen A. P.


Tags: Russia , war , armed forces , AME

RELATED MATERIALS: Defence and security
Возрастное ограничение