Center for Strategic Assessment and forecasts

Autonomous non-profit organization

Home / Defence and security / The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation: yesterday, today and tomorrow / Weekdays
Feat cadets
Material posted: Publication date: 21-06-2013

New Peterhof military-political school of frontier troops of the NKVD named after Voroshilov K. E. (SPM) was founded on 7 October 1937, after the establishment of the Armed Forces Institute of military commissioners on the basis of Military Academy of border and internal security of the NKVD of the USSR named after K. E. Voroshilov.

The head of the school regimental Commissar Grigoriev. College prepares for the political Commissars of the border and internal troops of the NKVD. Duration of training 2 years. The school accepted privates and sergeants of the border troops and internal troops of the NKVD passed urgent service, and received excellent recommendations from unit commanders. After the beginning of the great Patriotic war the school moved on to the short training program.

In connection with complication of the situation on the approaches to Leningrad on August 17, 1941., according to the order of the commander of the Northern front, the battalions of cadets Novo-Peterhof Military-political school of the NKVD. Voroshilov was given the task to put a barrier on the boundary: the 1st battalion under the command of major Shorina N. And. - the farm Chug. Antichi, Agogino, Volhovo, 2nd battalion, captain A. A. Zolotarev - Hulisi, Puleva, Smolikova, Delici. Acted ahead of the red Army (1st and 2nd guards division), under cover of which the battalions were supposed to take and prepare the defense... the 2nd battalion was reinforced sapper company of border troops Leningrad district and had to be supported by a 76-mm battery, but the battery to the destination has not arrived and the combat battalion is not supported. The 1st battalion was attached to an artillery battery. Both battalions operated independently and operationally, were subordinated to the commander of the 42nd army, major-General Belyaev.


The actions of the 1st battalion

At dawn on 18 August 1941. The 1st battalion took up defensive positions and successfully repelled the offensive and advanced intelligence of the enemy, and only the 4th company (Lieutenant hamayunov), the defenders in the area of Volkovo, receives the task to step in the direction of Torosovo - Humanity, 18 August 1941. in the evening, was attacked by tanks and motorized infantry of the enemy and partially surrounded. Roth teams went on the connection to the battalion and on 19 August he joined the battalion. The company commander with two cadets broke out only on August 24.

From the staff of the company did not return from the environment 21 a student. The commander of the 1st battalion major Sarino, the defenders in the area Choo. Antasy, was ordered all departing soldiers of the 1st guards division to halt and to form units. By 22 August from outgoing units was formed two battalions, in command and political positions in these battalions were supplied to the teachers who went to the front with the 1st battalion.

It was assumed from these two battalions and the 1st battalion (Shorin) to organize the regiment, but subsequently, the people were returned to the 1st guards division. 20 and 21, the cadets of the border guards conducted reconnaissance raids in the region of the villages of Great and Small Gabino, Volhovo, Volosovo, where he had clashes with the enemy. By this time the enemy Kingiseppsky highway was forced to suspend the offensive, faced with unexpected resistance boundary divisions. Taking advantage of the indecision of the enemy, Shorin decides to counterattack. And in the next few days, the guards drove the Nazis from villages Cotino, Big and Small, Gabino. Later, on the orders of the commander of the Kingisepp fortified region "further extension shelf SPM South" was discontinued.

The battalion was returned to their original positions, and then on 30 August was sent to the commander it task force major General Semashko, the latter reassigned to the battalion commander of the 2nd division of militia to major General Lyubovtsev and dispatched to the area of zabolottya ( 30 km Northwest Russian Antasy), where the battalion arrived in 17-18-00 August 31, 1941. The enemy by this time in the area of Koporye was cramping the units of the 2nd division of militia.

To restore the situation the division commander, were sent to the counter just coming up 3rd and 4th companies, who successfully counterattacked and threw the enemy infantry inflicting a great defeat, destroying the enemy battalions. 3rd and 4th companies were lost in this battle, up to 60-70 people killed and wounded cadets and commanders. As a result of the counterattack of the battalion supported by 10 tanks BT unit 271 regiment, 93rd infantry division of the enemy were dislodged from their positions in the area of Irogami and hastily retreated more than five miles.. After the successful counter-attack the entire battalion was put in reserve of the commander of the 2nd bottom and took up defensive positions in the area of Florality. Ahead at the turn of Gostilovo - Lasuna defended part of the 2nd floor.

Some days it took for the enemy to regroup and prepare a new offensive. During this time, part of the 8th army were able to withdraw at Peterhof highway, avoiding the danger of being cut off from the main forces of the Leningrad front. On 4 September 1941. part 2 the bottom should have given the land to the parts of the 125th infantry division and withdraw to rest. During the change of parts of the enemy took the offensive and changing parts without telling our battalion began to retreat, thus opening the location of the battalion from the front and from the flanks.

The enemy after powerful artillery and mortar training at the battalion went on the offensive and began to push the divisions that separate groups began to depart in the direction of Voronin. In this battle, the battalion lost 120 men killed and wounded, 171 people have not returned and their fate is unknown. The main part of the battalion retreated to D. Long field, where the guards tried to gain a foothold, but under the pressure of superior enemy forces were forced to move to the New villages and the village Gostilitsy, mined fork road Cheremikin - Oranienbaum. Until September 7, cadets defended the village Gostilitsy, covering the retreat of parts of the 281-th infantry division, and then were withdrawn to rest in the village area of Big ILike.

But the enemy knocked out part of our D. Sills and the command of the 281-th DM, was forced to send the cadets fill the gap. Fierce fighting for the Bridge lasted until the twentieth of September 41G. Border guards several times captured the village, but because of the lack of power and lack of fire support from infantry, to build on the success of the counterattack failed. In these battles the battalion suffered the greatest losses.

Due to the fact that the battalion of cadets under the command of major Shorin, acted in the month of September 41G. in the composition of the 281-th infantry division, the command of the 8th army in spite of the Directive of the General staff of the red Army concerning the use of military units of the NKVD on October 2 41G. tried to convey the battalion to replenish 1062-regiment 281 th infantry division. Major Shorin was appointed as the commander of the regiment. However, as a result of the Military Council of the Leningrad front solutions October 10, the front headquarters instructed the commander of the 8th And the 1st battalion of the College to immediately withdraw from the battle and composition 281 DM and guide, with all weapons, vehicles, and property in school to Leningrad to continue fighting interrupted his studies. On 1 October the battalion had in its composition of 68 cadets and 10 people received.


The actions of the 2nd battalion

Battalion 17 August 41G. was rushed from the New Peterhof for Krasnogvardeisk at 19: 00 and took a defensive line near the railway station of Elizavetino in the villages Alekseevka, Puleva, Delity and SKOLKOVO. In 24 hours on 17 August 1941. by order of the delegate of the connection of the front headquarters 8th company was thrown out in D. Hulisi. Thus, the front of the battalion was 10 km due to the lack of means of communication communication has been established with three companies. On the night of August 18, 1941. our exploration it was found the enemy offensive metamagmatism two SS division and one reconnaissance tank battalion of the 8th armored division of the Wehrmacht, which was marked on the road Volosovo - Elizavetino St. and lake - St. Elizavetino.

On August 17 the exploration of the 2nd battalion encountered advance units of the enemy and joined the battle. After a brief battle, which was shot down one tank and killed one officer, intelligence without loss returned to the core of the company. 5-00 18 August 1941. 5 company moved to the Western edge of the metro Elizavetino and focused for the shot across the highway and the railway line. By order of the commander of a battalion of students blocked the entrances and exits of the village except the roads in the old Park. The enemy broke through the front line of defense battalion, and began a fierce battle. The shootout began in the station buildings. In the Park, in its Central part, there was a Palace, a hundred meters from the Palace stood the Church, and not far from several stone buildings. In them, and on the Islands nearby pond cadets defended to 23-00 on 18 August 1941. The result of this fight was wrecked and burned two enemy tanks.

At 2300 the enemy took the metro Park Elizavetino, and on the orders of Colonel Roganova battalion was to occupy a new defensive line, Mikino - Spanikova. 8: 00 am to August 19, 1941. the battalion began to gain a foothold on the new frontier, reflecting the short counter pressure of superior enemy forces. 21-30 was granted a new order: to gain a foothold in the forest, North-East of the village. Bornite, and to close the way to the enemy in Krasnogvardeisk. 7-00 to 20 August 1941. battalion the fight moved to the third line and defense. Made the exploration has been found: D. in Bornite the enemy concentrated a battalion of infantry and put 10 tanks hidden in the bushes against our line of defense. The remaining enemy forces and 50 tanks and motorized infantry - began to bypass the left flank of the battalion.

At 12-00 in the area of defence arrived member of the Military Council and the Chairman of the Executive Committee Solovyov, who gave the order to the General command of the battalion: to block the path of advance of the enemy on Krasnogvardeisk, promised to throw reinforcements: division artillery, 6 tanks, mortars, ammunition, water and food, which the students never received.

At 14: 00, the enemy began a heavy artillery and mortar attack on the defense area, and a fully finished environment of the battalion, but the road to Krasnogvardeisk was still in our hands, and all attempts of enemy to break the path motobecane on the road were repulsed. From 17-00 to the 19-30 battalion repulsed strong counter-attacks by fire and short counterattacks.

At 1930 hours the battalion at full strength has passed in counterattack, and the enemy, suffering heavy losses, was scattered and put to flight. As a result of the battle was blown up and burned six medium tanks of the enemy, killed seven officers, one General, taken from dead and found on the battlefield an officer of 12 portfolios, handbags cards, two machine guns, many submachine guns, rifles, pistols, grenades, ammunition and so on. 6th and 8th companies of the Military-political College and two companies of the 2nd guards division of the people's militia located at the flanks of the defense, were from the battalion of the enemy cut off, and communication with them could not be determined.

On the section of defence road Bornite - Krasnogvardeisk left: 7 company - 73 persons, 5 company - 52 people, the demining company of 27 persons and the team of 23 people, only 175 people. On August 21, 1941. from 2-00 to 4-00, the enemy again opened a heavy artillery and mortar fire and by morning has introduced new forces and began an offensive that lasted throughout the day and night on August 22. On August 22nd, cont strong enemy artillery and mortar fire also continuously attacked the battalion, but was each time repulsed by our counterattacks.

The way to Krasnogvardeisk battalion continued to hold, and the movement of the enemy was. For 18 and 23 August the enemy had been conducting intensive attacks on units of the 2nd battalion, trying to break through to Krasnogvardeiskoe. However, all attempts to break through the defense line of the battalion were unsuccessful, and the enemy was forced to suspend the offensive. Only on 23 August, when the enemy learned that in the area of battalion no antitank weapons, very little technical equipment of our divisions, he marched against the battalion a large number of tanks, began a massive bombardment from artillery and mortars. But despite this the cadets, commanders and political workers continued to resist by all means at their disposal. However, the technical and numerical superiority of the enemy led to the fact that the units of the College were separated and then surrounded.

By the end of 23 August 1941. have created the plight of the battalion, antitank weapons combat grenades and bottles is exhausted, the battalion remained for three or four days without food or water and as a result of mortar and artillery fire, they suffered heavy losses in killed and wounded. Having made the decision to break through the encirclement and to strike at the garrisons of the enemy in the direction D. Pikalevo - Shepelevo and get off at Medline, the battalion led the offensive, but the enemy concentrated a heavy artillery and mortar fire along the route , and the attacking infantry battalion was dismembered, and the latter broke through the companies themselves. Group command battalion consisting of 36 people, getting ambushed, fighting out of the environment. In the area of Small Bornite she was surrounded by a company of the enemy and decisive attack smashing and scattering the enemy in the future, reflecting a separate attack on 27 August 1941. went out on St fee, where the train arrived in Leningrad.

Starting from 23 August until 1 September, cadets and commanders of the 2nd battalion of the small groups came out from the encirclement and on September 1 released: cadets - 196, commanders - 9, total - 205. With them returned the battalion commander, captain Johnson, Commissioner of the 3rd division's senior Lieutenant Safronov, the company commander Lieutenant Usenko, platoon commanders lieutenants Novozhilov, Pyatkov and others. From the 2nd battalion, which at the time of the speech on the front consisted of four companies in the amount of 579 people, left 2 companies - 208.

Of them received - 12, students - 196. Thus, the 2nd battalion lost in killed 30 people, wounded 80, missing - 261 people (some of whom are killed, wounded, surrounded by detainees in other parts), for a total of 371 persons, or 64 % of the structure. The battalion's losses could be significantly reduced if the battalion occupied a normal defense area, have sufficient technical equipment and needs support from neighbors. Unfortunately this never happened. Assigned to the battalion task - to delay the enemy on the way metro Elizavetino - Krasnogvardeisk a maximum of three or four days the guards complied, not allowing the advance of the enemy for six days. Thereby allow the 126 th and 267-th separate machine-gun artillery battalions, and parts of the 2nd guards division of the people's militia to take up defensive positions Krasnogvardeisky fortified area.

After leaving the fighting cadets continued his studies in Leningrad, where in September 41G. the school was evacuated. In November 41G. there was an issue. The majority of students were sent to border and internal troops of the NKVD. About forty people command and the party school recommended to the bodies of military counterintelligence, special departments of the Leningrad front. And some cadets were sent political workers to replenish the infantry and artillery units of the Leningrad front.



  1. The border troops during the great Patriotic war: a Collection of documents./ Chugunov A. I., Kuraeva T. f. - M.: Nauka, 1968. - 707с.
  2. Kalutsky N. V. Fire for himself! - M.: Voenizdat, 1981. - 206с.
  3. Felisov V. M. had died. - L.: Lenizdat, 1984. - 238с.
  4. At close approaches to Leningrad: Gatchina (Krasnogvardeisk ) during the great Patriotic war./ Comp.: S. I. G., Prokhorov N. And. - L.: Lenizdat, 1986. - 302с.
  5. Oranienbaum bridgehead: memoirs of the defense./ Comp.: Grasinski K. K., Lavrov L. I. - L.: Lenizdat, 1971. - 464с.
  6. Chronicle of events at Oranienbaum bridgehead of the Leningrad front from June 22, 1941. on 22 June 1944./ Comp.: Plaksin, A. A., - Lomonosov: Lomonosovskaya tipografiya, 1995. - 228с.
  7. Shcherbakov, V. I., On the coastal flanks.(Memoirs of the commander). - SPb.: The fairway, 1996. - P.216.
  8. KGB army: Memories of the military counterintelligence officers of the Leningrad, Volkhov and Karelian fronts / Ed.: Bogdanov A. A., Leonov, I. J. - L.: Lenizdat, 1985. - 368с..


Senchik S. P


Tags: Russia , war , armed forces

RELATED MATERIALS: Defence and security
Возрастное ограничение