Climatologists, oceanographers, and other scientists have long believed that climate change threatens to destroy mainly the North and glaciers on Earth – the glaciers of Greenland and the Arctic ice cap.
In recent years this view began to change. Scientists have discovered evidence that the first can not disappear and the ice, and the part of the glaciers of Antarctica, which will lead to a catastrophic rise in sea level. For this reason, NASA's project IceBridge conducts continuous monitoring of the southern ice, studying them with a reconnaissance aircraft.
These studies show that the most vulnerable and virtually certain candidate for destruction is the so-called glacier Larsen on the East coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. He began to disintegrate in 1995, the last pieces of this glacier, as shown by the data IceBridge, had to start their path to oblivion this summer.
It happened – the latest pictures from the aircraft obtained by NASA in late November and early December show that the Larsen glacier, part of the ice array Larsen, there was a huge crack with length of 112 kilometers, a width of about 100 meters and a depth of about 500 meters.
According to experts, this crack appeared either in the past or the year before that talks about the nature of the ultrafast decay of the ice array. The crack continues to grow rapidly.
With the onset of summer in the southern hemisphere glacier Larsen has turned into a giant iceberg with an area of about 6500 square kilometers. This area comparable to the size of the U.S. state of Delaware and is approximately one seventh of the area of Moscow oblast, Estonia or other European countries.
The collapse of the glacier Larsen will lead to accelerated melting and "slipping" of the continental glaciers of Antarctica, which is now held in place by the ice array.
- 13-04-2020"Black death" was a powerful natural factor of natural selection
- 16-03-2020Chinese remedy for the virus. We helped China to take the epidemic of the coronavirus under the control of
- 14-06-2019The electronic state of the future
- 11-03-2019How to change the world, when the Earth's population will reach 10 billion
- 09-09-2018Le Monde (France): We come to the point where globalization is too expensive
- 04-07-2012Russia cooking oil blockade and the collapse of the scenario of the 80-ies
- 23-12-2012The Vedic understanding of state policy
- 22-11-2013In the archives of the "world government"
- 08-01-2014Of a mega-Church and their communication strategies
- 08-11-2012The main threat to peace or a recipe for success